House fire in Blauvelt, Christmas presents saved
 
By Jane Lerner • jlerner@lohud.com
December 22, 2010
 

House fire in Blauvelt, Christmas presents saved; video with victim, fire chief


By Jane Lerner • jlerner@lohud.com • December 22, 2010

http://www.LoHud.com/section/videonetwork?bctid=720595708001

BLAUVELT — A blaze damaged a family's home this
morning but quick thinking by firefighters saved
their Christmas.

Firefighters were called to the home on Monsignor
Brady Court shortly after 9 a.m.
When they got there, they found thick smoke
pouring out of the two-story house.
While firefighters were doing an interior search of
the home, they saw a Christmas tree with presents
underneath.

They moved the presents out of the way to protect
them from smoke and water damage, Blauvelt Deputy
Chief Peter Byrne said.

"They saved the Christmas presents," Byrne said.
"Fortunately, the children will still have a nice
Christmas."

Homeowner Eileen Verde praised the firefighters for
their quick response and efforts to salvage the
family's Christmas celebration.

"They were amazing," she said.

Investigators believe the fire started in a clothes
dryer.